Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dolly Kei: Kitsch, vintage lovers and bizarre lovely fashion from Japan.

What happens when you mix creativity, vintage clothes, lolita, folk, Mori girls style, macabre, Celtic culture, cute things, kitsch, retro and horror?



As you may know, Japan is the biggest mixer in the world, and only in Japan could be born the Dolly Kei style, the one which mixes everything I mentioned before and more.

The Dolly Kei was born around 2007 thanks to Hitomi, a lovely Japanese girl who loved antiques and started her own accessories brand, Dolly; but it's in 2008 when she opened her own vintage shop, Grimoire, and the dream became true.


Don't try to find any brands inside Dolly Fashion, because there's no one. Dolly Fashion lovers find their inspiration in some different historical points: the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, but also the 70's fashion and folk of countries like Russia, Hungary, Romania or including Turkey. They also love the horror, fairies and mystical stories, where they find another big part of their inspiration. So, as you can guess, they find almost all their clothes into vintage stores.



A Dolly Fashion lover would use layers of clothes, but lots of accessories too, as they're very important to complete the look. But of course, they won't use the "normal" kind of accessories that we're used to, but tassels from old velvet curtains (for necklaces or belts), bags like tapestries, a spooky hairdresser with skulls or broken dolls, fur with the entire fox carcass and whatever you can imagine that contains some dreamy taste.


Nowadays, it is said that there are two schools for Dolly Kei: one where the girls prefer soft colours (pink, peach, white...) and a second one that uses dark colours and it's a little bit more macabre. They're influenced too by Lolita and Mori Girls fashion; sometimes they're confused with the second ones, but the major difference between a Mori and a Dolly lover are the patterns of their clothes; remember, if Mori loves nature and floral patterns, a Dolly lover would love it too, but would always prefer some arabesque or retro pattern overall. 


So, did you know about Dolly Fashion/ Dolly Kei? I think it's an amazing style and I love it so much because I'm a big vintage lover too and this style is perfect to mix everything I love! Vintage, kitsch, cute and macabre things!


By the way, in my next entry I'll publish the answers of my first Q&A post... so come on, ask me whatever you want!

16 comments :

  1. Japan street style is my favourite ever. Dolly Kei is so wonderful!!! The layering they do blows my mind.

    Q: Which geographic region most influences your style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to this style of dressing. I love it & I, too, love to mix floral prints with colorful retro & vintage fashions, so I'm glad to know that there are others out there who love to mix it up, too!

    http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com
    http://closetfullofgoodies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. No se si podría usar tantas capas, sobre todo en mi país tan tropical jajaja! pero como inspiración esta genial :)
    Me gustó mucho el vestido azul, de las primeras fotos, y algunas cartera estan divinas.

    pregunta: ¿ Qué es lo que más te gusta de la moda underground?

    ¿ Y que tan importante es para ti tener un blog?

    SAludos guapa

    ReplyDelete
  4. A veces me pregunto de donde sacan los japoneses sus ideas, pero también cómo hacen para ejecutarlas tan bien. Porque no es cosa de que, por ejemplo, yo no tenga miles de conceptos en la cabeza, pero si quiero ejecutarlos no me salen tan bien.
    El Dolly es fantastico en mi opinión. Había escrito hace meses en mi blog un artículo bastante largo sobre este nuevo estilo, tratando de desmembrar un poco en qué iba. La verdad me parece encantador en el sentido mágico de la palabra, esta cosa de charming pero "creepy" que te transmite una esencia, ayudada la ropa por la ambientación de la tienda física de Grimoire...

    Saludos Sahakiel <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, una pregunta para tu Q&A (disculpa si ya la has contestado antes y/o resulta tedioso): ¿Cuál es, si tienes una definida, tu filosofía de vida? ¿En qué basas tu día a día?

    Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not know if my comment has gone through, it is so difficult to leave a comment in your blog for me. Any idea why????. Todays post seems to have benn written for me. I am a mix and match lover together with nature and vintage.
    i do thank you.
    Love, love your blog and from today I am your follower.
    Un abrazo
    sacramento

    ReplyDelete
  7. Japón siempre ha sido un referente.
    Me gustan más las Mori, pero tampoco me disgustan las Kei.
    Gracias por descubrirmelas.
    Kisses.

    http://pirotessasblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tía creo q Lucía y el Sexo se rodó en Formentera... la que se rodó en Lanzarote es Los abrazos rotos, que de hecho yo la ví estando allí que la trajo un amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the fashion ^^ i wish i could try it someday :)

    and thank you for ur recommendation :3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dolly kei is so cute, I much prefer the softer side to it. I didn't know so much about it, so thanks for making this post.

    Carmen.xx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. me encanta, me encaaaaaaaanta... yo soy de las que veo el Mori y el Dolly compatibles entre sí. Puede que como me pasara con el Lolita al venir del Goth de toda la vida veo muy factible llevar un look más rocambolesco unos días y otros un look más sencillito.

    Como te comentaba en la entrada del Mori, poco a poco mi armario se ha ido llenando de prendas de ropa de ambos estilos, ninguna de marca, todas rescatadas de tiendas de barrio de outlets etc... vivan los encantes. Comprar visillos y pasamanería para adornar prendas y como siempre el selfmade ^^

    me encanta este post (como el anterior) y a ver si cuando empiece el otoño hacemos una fotosesion mori-dolly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh, I love these japanese girls! Dolly Kei is so cuuute! :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so fascinating. They must put in a lot of time and thought into these adorable outfits. SO much detail everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Creo que una de las cosas que más me gusta del dolly, es esa manera de tiene de conseguir un punto siniestro sin abusar de la oscuridad en la imagen, no se si me explico. Y por supuesto, el rollo vintage, que creo que cada vez me gusta más...

    Un artículo muy completo ^^

    Besos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and for your lovely comments, I will comment you back as soon as I can!